Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) is a process which is carried out in the embryology laboratory and is specially indicated for patients with male factor infertility problems.
The ICSI process involves selecting a single, morphologically normal sperm into the cytoplasm of a mature oocyte (egg). The process is carried out using specially designed glass micropipettes. Once the sperm is injected into the egg, the further process of development and Embryo transfer would remain exactly the same as in general or conventional IVF cases.
ICSI works like magic for many male factor patients. In all the conditions mentioned below, ICSI gives excellent results.
- Oligospermia – Medical condition where the sperm count is very low
- Asthenozoospermia – Medical condition where the sperm motility is very poor
- Teratozoospermia – Medical condition where the sperm morphology is very poor
- Oligoasthenoteratozoospermia (OAT) – Medical condition where the sperm count, motility, morphology – all parameters are sub-optimal.
- Azoospermia – Medical conditions where there are no sperms seen in the ejaculate semen sample, along with disruptive pathology- blocked or abnormal ejaculatory ducts. In such condition, the sperms can be retrieved surgically. ICSI combined with surgical retrieval of sperms gives a real hope to all these men to have their own genetic child! Depending on the problem, sperms can be retrieved form the testes by testicular sperm extraction (TESE) or epididymis with the help of microsurgical epididymal sperm aspiration (MESA).
Some other factors where ICSI can help also include:
- Issues related to Binding of sperms and egg Penetration
- High Presence of Antisperm antibodies (immune or protective proteins which connect and destroy sperm) in order to stop fertilization
- Continuous fertilization failure with usual IVF culture and fertilization techniques
- Frozen sperm collected prior to cancer treatment that may be limited in number and quality
Apart from the quality of egg and sperm, one of the major factor affecting ICSI outcome is the skill and experience of the embryologist performing the ICSI process. In ICSI, the sperm is selected by the embryologist, so the judgement of the embryologist is extremely crucial to success. Our Founder Goral Gandhi has 25 years of experience in the field of Clinical Embryology. She has trained over 500 embryologists in various embryology techniques including ICSI. One of the popular courses she runs delas with increasing success rates of ICSI cycles. (www.learnivf.org)
Goral Gandhi takes immense satisfaction and pride in making men fathers with their own genetic sperms instead of donor sperms.
Write to us today to know more or book an appointment.
Endoscopic Procedures For IVF
Since failure of IVF treatment is a mental, physical and financial disaster, every effort must be made
While going ahead with an IVF cycle always comes as an exciting and Nervous journey altogether for the Couples
Natural CYCLE IVF
Natural-Cycle IVF (NC-IVF) has been proposed as a means of reducing the risk of multiple pregnancies
IVF LITE (MINI IVF)
The core motive during the Conventional IVF is to produce as many eggs as possible for further fertilization and implantation.
IN VITRO FERTILIZATION (IVF)
Beginning an IVF cycle is an exciting and anxious time for a couple. Our Center provides couples
The endometrial lining is usually less favorable to implantation due to a variety of factors like immunological disruption.
Frozen Embryo Transfer
A frozen embryo transfer, or FET, is a kind of IVF treatment where a cryopreserved embryo